Important Notice: Aldgate Branch Closure on 23 June 2023
24 Mar 2023
As part of our ongoing commitment to providing the right level of service to our customers, we continually review our branch network presence to ensure we are in the right locations which reflects how our customers choose to do business with us. After careful evaluation, we have taken the difficult decision to close this branch on 23rd June 2023.
We are committed to supporting our customers and there will be many alternative ways to continue to do your banking with us. In this document, you will find information on how we came to our decision as well as details of how you will be able to continue to access your usual banking services.
Accounts held with this branch will now be administered from the London Main branch. There will be no change to your account details and you can continue to access your account at any Bank of Baroda (UK) branch. For details of our other branches including opening times, please follow this link.
London Main Branch
Bank of Baroda 32 City Road London EC1Y 2BD
- Mon-Fri: 10:00 - 15:00
- Saturday/Sunday: Closed
Driving: 1.6 miles, Public Transport (Underground): 22 minutes
- General: +44 (0) 20 7457 1515
- Direct: +44 (0) 20 7457 1544
- Fax: +44 (0) 20 7457 1505
- Email: email@example.com
As a Bank of Baroda customer, you are also able to use NatWest branches to pay in cash or cheques, with your Bank of Baroda pay-in book.
The nearest NatWest branch to the Aldgate East branch is the Whitechapel Road branch, 0.4 miles/7 minutes away at: Black Lion House, 45 Whitechapel Road, E1 1DU.
Other services in the area
ATMs - There are 30 free ATMs within a 1 mile radius of this branch. For more information please use the ATM LINK locator tool here.
PayPoint - There are 48 PayPoint stores within a 1 mile radius of the branch which can be used to pay certain bills. For more information please check the PayPoint website here.
Cashback - Cashback services are available at leading supermarkets in the local area where customers can obtain cash back when paying with their debit card.
Internet - 97% of residents in E1 have access to Fast or Ultrafast broadband coverage.
How we came to our closure decision
Over the past 4 years, the Branch has seen a declining customer base, transaction activity and footfall. The reasons for the decline include the: closure of existing accounts, closures of cash-rich businesses due to the pandemic and a shift in preference of the customers to visit the other branches (close to their homes) or use our internet banking facilities.
Increasing numbers of customers are using our internet & mobile banking services as we migrate more of our customer journeys online.
As part of our review, we looked at:
- The number of customers affected
- The number of vulnerable customers affected who may be more reliant on branch banking and face-to-face transactions (including but not limited to customers that are disabled, elderly, digitally excluded and/or lower-income customers)
- How easy it is to access alternative banking solutions
All of the cash and cheque transactions currently undertaken at the Aldgate East branch can be undertaken at the nearest NatWest branch.
In accordance with the FCA guidance for Branch and ATM Closures or Conversions FG(22/6) we will identify and address the needs of our vulnerable customers by providing the following additional support:
- the branch will make an individual call to each customer to discuss their needs going forward, including alternatives available closer to home
- our local team will help to set up and demonstrate our online options where appropriate in the branch with customers
- we will reach out to local charities and community groups to advise them of the closure and work with them to support the local community throughout the process
- we will continue to develop our online and telephone service to support even more customer requests moving forward
Alternative ways to bank
There are a number of transactions that can now be completed via our new app M-Connect Plus UK. Customers are now able to:
- Obtain a statement at any time, anywhere with the option of receiving a PDF copy to the registered email address
- View mini statements
- Display multiple accounts linked to the same customer ID
- Transfer funds to self-linked GPB accounts as well as third-party GBP accounts within the bank
- Request a new chequebook
- Obtain real-time transaction details
- Open your Fixed Deposit online
For more information please visit our website here.
About Bank of Baroda
It has been a long and eventful journey of almost a century across 25 countries. Starting in 1908 from a small building in Baroda to its new hi-rise and hi-tech Baroda Corporate Centre in Mumbai, is a saga of vision, enterprise, financial prudence and corporate governance.
It is a story scripted in corporate wisdom and social pride. It is a story crafted in private capital, princely patronage and state ownership. It is a story of ordinary bankers and their extraordinary contribution in the ascent of Bank of Baroda to the formidable heights of corporate glory. It is a story that needs to be shared with all those millions of people - customers, stakeholders, employees & the public at large - who in ample measure, have contributed to the making of an institution.