Dear Valued Customer,
As part of our ongoing commitment to providing the right level of service to our customers, we continually review our branch network presence to ensure we are in the right locations to reflect how our customers choose to do business with us. After careful evaluation, we have taken the difficult decision to close the Aldgate East branch on 23rd June 2023.
We are committed to supporting our customers and there will be many alternative ways to continue to do your banking with us. In this document, you will find information on how we came to our decision as well as details of how you will be able to continue to access your usual banking services.
Accounts held with this branch will now be administered from the London Main branch. There will be no change to your account details, and you can continue to access your account at any Bank of Baroda (UK) branch. For details of our other branches including opening times, please follow this link
For any queries relating to your account at the Aldgate East branch, please contact the branch directly:
Aldgate East Branch
128, Commercial Road, Aldgate East, London E1 1NL
- Mon-Fri: 10:00 - 14:00 (Monday to Friday except Bank Holidays)
- General: +44 (0) 20 7480 0000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your nearest alternative Bank of Baroda (UK) branch to Aldgate East can be found here:
London Main Branch
Bank of Baroda 32 City Road London EC1Y 2BD
- Opening Hours:
- Mon-Fri: 10:00 - 15:00
- Saturday/Sunday: Closed
- Fully Accessible
- Driving: 1.6 miles
- Public Transport (Underground): 22 minutes
- General:+44 (0) 20 7457 1515
- Email: email@example.com
As a Bank of Baroda (UK) customer, you are also able to use NatWest branches to pay in cash or cheques, with your Bank of Baroda pay-in book.
The nearest NatWest branch to the Aldgate East branch is the Whitechapel Road branch, 0.4 miles/7 minutes away at: Black Lion House, 45 Whitechapel Road, E1 1DU.
Other services in the area
ATMs - There are 30 free ATMs within a 1 mile radius of this branch. For more information, please use the ATM LINK locator tool here.
Pay Point - There are 48 Pay Point stores within a 1 mile radius of the branch which can be used to pay certain bills. For more information, please check the Pay Point website here.
Cashback - Cashback services are available at leading supermarkets in the local area where customers can obtain cash back when paying with their debit card.
Alternative ways to bank with us
A broad range of banking services are also available through our digital channels, namely Baroda Connect (internet banking) and M-Connect Plus UK (mobile banking). We note that 97% of residents in E1 have access to Fast or Ultrafast broadband coverage.
For more information, please visit our website here.
How we came to our closure decision
Over the past 4 years, the Branch has seen a declining customer base, transaction activity and footfall. The reasons for the decline include: closure of existing accounts, closures of cash-rich businesses due to the pandemic and a shift in preference of customers to visit the other branches (close to their homes) or use our internet banking facilities. Increasing numbers of customers are using our internet & mobile banking services as we migrate more of our customer journeys online.
As part of our review, we looked at:
- The number of customers affected.
- The number of vulnerable customers affected who may be more reliant on branch banking and face-to-face transactions (including but not limited to customers that are disabled, elderly, digitally excluded and/or lower-income customers)
- How easy it is to access alternative banking solutions.
All of the cash and cheque transactions currently undertaken at the Aldgate East branch can be undertaken at the nearest NatWest branch or ATMs.
In accordance with the FCA guidance for Branch and ATM Closures or Conversions FG(22/6) we will identify and address the needs of our vulnerable customers by providing the following additional support:
- the branch will make an individual call to each customer to discuss their needs going forward, including alternatives available closer to home.
- our team will help to set up and demonstrate our online options where appropriate in branch with customers
- we will reach out to local charities and community groups to advise them of the closure and work with them to support the local community throughout the process.
- we will continue to develop our online and telephone service to support even more customer requests moving forward.